Thursday, April 28, 2011

At The Starting Line...

Lately I have grown accustomed to what life is like working in an office.  Though it is not the most exciting or stimulating work, I am grateful for having this opportunity because I can have a firmer grasp on what the majority of Americans who have office jobs are used to everyday.  And, I must say, it is not quite as bad as I thought.  I have great co-workers, which I believe are a contributing factor in me not totally losing my mind, and the position is not horribly demanding, which helps.

However, I do have that feeling that my creativity is not being utilized to its full potential, which I thought might happen.

In searching for my next gig, I came across a particular film audition which I decided to pursue.  The film is an independent gritty, dark, dramatic thriller in which the main character, who I like to refer to as the anti-hero, is forced to takeover his family's funeral home. 

I went in for the audition, met with the director, and put myself on tape for him.  Immediately afterward I second-guessed every acting choice I made during the audition and said a prayer, believing I hadn't won the role.  Despite my preconceptions though, I received an email a few days later with an offer for the lead role of the film!

Ecstasy.  Jubilation.  Bliss.

Words can't do justice to the feeling I felt, winning my first starring role in a feature-length film!  The project is independently financed, which means its not backed by any major studios, but my excitement for what it could be grows every time I think about it. 

Production begins in a couple of weeks, and I'm convinced it is going to be one of the greatest challenges of my life, but I am still so excited to do it.  And I think that's how you know you are in the right profession; even when the task seems unbelievably daunting or challenging, when you are excited to take on that responsibility and give it your best shot, you know you're headed in the right direction.  And I think I finally am.  I'm so grateful for this opportunity, I'm going to put everything I have into it making it great.  Even though it's only a small project, it could end up becoming the next Precious, you never know. 

Right now I feel like I'm at the starting line in the race of life.  I finally am on the track I want to be on and I have to try and not veer off too dramatically from it.  In a few weeks, when filming begins, the gun is going to go off and I'm going to embark on the greatest race of all...the one against myself, to be the best I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment