Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Step Four: Stop Being Nice, Start Getting Real

I should explain that the title of this post can have a double meaning.  Many of you might recognize it as the catchphrase for MTV's The Real World, which I auditioned for last weekend.  However, it can also serve as a line of advice in these tough times of being a post-grad.

Currently, The Real World casting directors are scouring the country for the next 7 or 8 cast members to grace America's screens with their drama, booze-fueled rants, and often comedic antics.  Back in December, I received word of this country-wide casting and sent in a brief bio of myself along with some pictures.  I was pleased to receive an email back last week that requested my presence at the Philadelphia casting call, which permitted me to skip to the front of line and bypass all of the "other" Real World hopefuls.

I suppose the reason I initially applied was because back in December, in my time of desperation, I was eagerly job hunting and was coming across nothing.  I thought, if I cannot sell people my resume, why not sell my charm?  I'm a funny guy, enjoy socializing, and have a generally adventerous spirit, so the whole Real World premise sounded exciting to me.  Plus, the thought of entertaining millions of Americans was appealing.

After arriving at the casting, I was sandwiched behind a Sisqo look-a-like (yes, dumps like a truck), and a kindly art student girl from Temple University.  The three of us, plus 5 others were led inside and situated around a table with a female casting agent.  She grilled us with questions, which were surprisingly intricate and deep; the meaning of life, advice you'd give a past version of yourself...  My group consisted of a self-proclaimed "floozie", an outgoing south Philly princess, a beautful ditz, 2 artsy types, two gay black men, and myself.  Needless to say, being the only straight, white male, I stood out.  After being hit on by both the floozie and one of the black men, it was nearly time to go and the woman said we would receive calls if they wanted us to return for a callback. 

As the day went on, I received no such call, however I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.  It was like my own little miniature Real World experience and in that 30 minute timeframe I got a very good taste of what it would be like had I been casted.  I have an inkling the south Philly princess might be picked, and if she is, you will hear me say "I know her", so be ready for that.

Today though, us post-grads have to "stop being nice and start getting real" in our own way.  When you are trying to make a name for yourself professionally, you don't want to make friends or be nice to everyone, you want to do what you have to do to get ahead.  Be real with yourself because no one is going to take pity on you or cut you a break until you prove yourself.  At this stage in life, no one's success is as important as our own.  Sure it's a self-centered view on life, but can you really disagree?  Sometimes to be successful, you have to "do you" and be self involved, otherwise you will not acheive those dreams you have set for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment