Sunday, May 22, 2011

Step Five: Moving On...

After only a short couple of weeks, shooting on my first feature film is nearly complete.  The entire experience has been so rewarding and fulfilling to me, just like how I imagined it.  And yet, as filming took place, I didn't feel as excited as I thought I would, which I think can be attributed to the fact that I have dreamt about making a film since the age of eight.  Instead of excitement, I felt right, at home, comfortable; like it was what I know the rest of my life should be consumed by.  I felt like I was finally satisfying a part of myself that I was always curious to explore; the actor.  I am so excited to see how the film will turn out.

Apart from my shooting schedule, last night four of my closest friends all met up in a local college bar in the local college town in which we all attended college.  They all sent me text messages saying how much they missed me and I truly felt sad.  Sad and jealous.  Exactly one year ago to the day, the five of us were all out celebrating our graduation from university and the students one year younger than us were celebrating their special day too.  It made me think about the last year and how fast it flew by.  It also made me look back on that year and truly question all the things that happened.  Everything was for a reason.  All the events had a purpose in shaping my current thoughts and beliefs. 

Missing college I think is normal.  I mean, at least I hope it is.  Talk about "time flies when you're having fun".  It sometimes seems like it was stripped away too fast, like I wasn't really ready to enter this big, bad world.  But you can't put life on hold.

And so, in a valiant effort to network my head off, I am headed back to the Hamptons for the summer.  Back to work at my trusty restaurant and back to "living the dream".  And I am in negotiations, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself, to write for a semi-famous publication which would do well to improve my networking aspirations.  Fingers crossed.

Has the post-grad survival guide assisted in steering my way through the dreaded first year after college.  Yes.  And for all the other recent graduates, I have advice.  The next year of your life is going to be HARD.  Perhaps your hardest yet.  Even if you are lucky enough to secure a position in these horrendous economic straits, the journey that you will go through adjusting to that job and discovering what it is like to work in corporate America is definitely going to be a transition from college carelessness and fun.

And for those "Me's" out there, who don't have a job yet, don't stress.  As long as you have aspirations for success, things will come together.  It might take a year to get the "big break", but it's an important year to go through.  You find out who you are and the person you want to become when it's over. 

So congratulations class of 2011.  The good news is, it's just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment