Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Step Two: Persist and Conquer

Recently I've been feeling that my life is becoming a little too easy.  Since my homecoming I have been fervently applying to an abundance of positions related to my field of writing/broadcasting/entertaining, without much luck.  So what have I been doing with my days you ask?  Well I must say that I do not sleep in until 11a.m. and lounge around all day...

Until recently I was spending what seemed like tireless hours of my time on the computer and filling out online applications as well as chasing down leads.  However, the luxury of being home allows me the time I need to come and go as I please, running errands I need to accomplish or doing household chores.  Pretty standard stuff.

A week and a half ago I went back to a Temp Agency I had utilized the summer after my senior year of high school, thinking perhaps they could assist me in my fleeting dreams of employment.  I waited about three days until I received a call from the agency, informing me that they had a position I might like.  Through the telephone lines, the job seemed to be a place that organized and planned birthday parties for children.  I thought it would be a great opportunity; I'd get to play with a few kids while gaining "event planning" experience which would look respectable on my resume.  I jotted down the address and reported to the job two Fridays ago, expecting something fun.

 However, when I pulled into the parking lot of the "venue" I knew right away I was not going to be dealing with children.  The building was somewhat removed from major roadways, giving me the impression that small children did not frequent the space.  To make a long story short, the job turned out to be in a toy manufacturing and shipping company and I was basically on an assembly line prepping the toys to be shipped.  Yeah.  I blame this on possibly a bad phone connection and my own naivety and constant state of living on cloud nine.

All last week I counted marbles, folded papers, and prepared children's problem solving games to be shipped to the masses.  Not exactly riveting work.  But when I came home each night I discovered two things.  Not only was I totally wired after I arrived home (I assume because I literally used no part of my brain completing my monotonous tasks) but I was shocked to find out that there were only a few hours left until I had to go to bed and repeat the arduous process the following day!  I was so used to being home and having my freedom, that I was positively flabergasted that the whole day had been wasted, in a manner of speaking.

I also desperately missed the cold, hard cash my previous restaurant work provided me with.

Now, the job is more or less finished and I am pleased to rediscover an old friend; my free time.  Then I laughed to myself.  I realized I sounded entirely spoiled and that the majority of working professionals on planet earth do the same thing I just described (minus the marbles) five days per week.  I have  a new found respect for those people and have come to appreciate the phrase, "there are not enough hours in the day".

Step Two of the Post-Grad Survival Guide is that we all have to be persistent in our respective endeavors.  I realize now that I have slacked off and instead of spending those extra minutes on facebook, just apply for any old job.  It's a step where I have to "practice what I preach" because I too need to keep my dreams in my peripherals.  And even if not all post-grads are at home and searching for their next move, they could be in the empty job they are overqualified for and striving to get out of.  Be persistent.  Bide your time.  The chance for us to conquer is imminent, I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment