Friday, November 26, 2010

Step One: Just Like Old Times

Even though I sometimes complain about having to move back to my hometown now that I have graduated, I was reminded on Wednesday that it is not nearly as bad as I once thought.  Wednesday, of course being one of the biggest nights of the holiday season as far as reunions go, could not have gone better.

There is a feeling I sometimes get (and I do not think I am alone in this) where I initially dread doing something because it seems like a chore or hassle.  For example, going to sports practices in high school, or getting out of a comfortable chair to go out to a party at night; it seems like a massive inconvenience and you think that it is purely a waste of time to participate in such endeavors, but once you are out, you have a blast.

Recently I have been feeling like that a lot.  However, on Wednesday night when I was able to see people from high school I had not seen in literally YEARS, it was such a breath of fresh air.  I forgot how much fun high school had been, had a momentary memory lapse of all the friends I had and all the fun things we used to do together.  It was like opening an old book and reliving old moments.  Once I saw the faces of the people I had grown up with, everything came rushing back.

I think now that I, and my peers alike who have had the pleasure of moving back home, are lucky to have the  safety-net of each other being friends.  It's the First Step of the Post-Grad Survival Guide: Having friends and people you can fall back on and who understand. 

Because in the end, we are all in the same boat.  We all are just starting out in the next chapter of our lives.  Whether we have our first jobs or not, whether we have student loan payments to make or are becoming first time billpayers, we are acquiring all new kinds of responisibilities.  However, having the peace of mind that the people we grew up with and know the best are going through the same trials and tribulations as we are, is priceless.  At the end of the day we can go to the neighborhood bar with our childhood friends and know that our buddies have our back

No comments:

Post a Comment